During the Senior Residency Programme, the resident spends 2 years in clinical training to gain experience in areas that include:
- Inpatient Solid Tumour Service at Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH)
- Inpatient Solid Tumour Service at Johns Hopkins Singapore (JHS)
- Outpatient consultation service at TTSH with a weekly continuity clinic
- Inpatient Oncology consultation service at TTSH
- One-month rotation at Singapore General Hospital to gain experience in autologous stem cell transplantation and Haematological disorders
- One-month rotation at KK Women's and Children's Hospital to gain experience in the treatment of Gynaecological malignancies
- Rotations with Radiation Oncology and Palliative Medicine
third year, the senior resident:
- Spends a minimum of 4 months in core medical oncology training, and
- Chooses between Medical Oncology postings, research postings and/or elective postings.
Training in the
third year can consist of one or a combination of the following:
- Medical Oncology (up to 6 months)
- Research postings (up to 6 months)
- Radiation Oncology (2 to 4 months)
- Haematology, Apheresis and Blood Banking (2 to 4 months)
- Palliative Medicine (2 to 4 months)
- Pathology (2 to 4 months)
- Surgical Oncology (2 to 4 months)
- Nuclear Medicine (maximum of 3 months)
Resident's Scholarly Activities
The residency programme provides an enriching educational environment to the resident with the goal of maximising his/her potential during the three years of training. While the resident is encouraged to participate actively in research, opportunities for either clinical or basic research are present depending on the resident's area of interest. With that said, he/she will be given opportunities to develop his/her own research projects and agendas. There are also a variety of educational resources available to the resident, including electronic access to the Welch Medical Library at Johns Hopkins University.
The NHG Medical Oncology resident can participate in a variety of educational conferences including tumour boards, grand rounds, radiology rounds, journal clubs, M&M conferences, and lecture series. He/she will also be given opportunities to attend national or international seminars and conferences.