Post-Graduate Year 1 (PGY1) is the transition year between undergraduate medical education and either conditional or full clinical registration. It prepares the medical graduate for future independent practice in an unsupervised ambulatory setting.
The Transitional Year Residency Programme is designed for young doctors who choose a medical specialty for which its Residency Programme requires one prerequisite year of fundamental clinical education. These residency specialty programmes refer to any one of the programmes offered at NHG, except Internal Medicine, General Surgery, Emergency Medicine and Psychiatry.
NHG brings together the dedicated teaching faculty of Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH) and Khoo Teck Puat Hospital (KTPH) to equip the PGY1 resident with necessary clinical experience and skills for his/her future Residency Programmes. The PGY1 resident will receive a structured and broad-based education during his/her posting within the General Medicine, General Surgery, and Orthopaedic Surgery or Emergency departments at TTSH. During his/her training, the resident may practise elective postings at KTPH.
The Departments of General Medicine at TTSH and KTPH provide training in a wide variety of undifferentiated case presentations. Here, the resident will learn to manage patients in a comprehensive and holistic manner. He/she will also gain the ability to obtain information, arrive at correct diagnoses in a timely manner, and institute appropriate management plans.
The General Surgery rotation exposes the resident to the basics of surgical care in general surgery, colorectal surgery, surgical oncology and more.
Under the Orthopaedic Surgery rotation, the resident is given progressive responsibility for the care of patients under the supervision of faculty members. He/She will also attain a good grounding in the areas of geriatric medicine, rehabilitation, physiotherapy, and hand surgery, which are crucial elements of Orthopaedic Surgery training.
Primary Site: TTSH
- TTSH Department of General Medicine
- TTSH Department of General Surgery
- TTSH Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- TTSH Emergency Department
- TTSH Department of Ophthalmology
- TTSH Department of Otorhinolaryngology
- TTSH Department of Anaesthesiology
- TTSH Department of Diagnostic Radiology
- TTSH Department of Gastroenterology
- TTSH Department of Continuing & Continuity Care
- TTSH Department of Palliative Medicine
- TTSH Department of Pathology
- TTSH Department of Renal Medicine
- Institute of Mental Health
- KKH Department of Paediatrics
- KTPH Acute & Emergency Department
- KTPH Department of Anaesthesiology
- KTPH Department of Diagnostic Radiology
- KTPH Department of General Medicine
- KTPH Department of General Surgery
- KTPH Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- National Skin Centre
- NCC Medical Oncology
- NHG Polyclinics
- NNI Neurology
- NNI Neurosurgery
- NUHS Department of Paediatrics